[reportlab-users] Hyphenation glitch when using HTML entities

Lele Gaifax lele at metapensiero.it
Sat Dec 4 12:03:21 EST 2021

Hi,

I have an issue when rendering a justified-hyphenated paragraph containing
HTML entities. It may very well be a font issue, because I was not able to
replicate it with a standard font, but I will try harder if that helps.

Basically, when the paragraph is a plain text everything goes well, but as
soon as it contains, say, a '"' entity instead of the corresponding
double quote '"', apparently the machinery that compute the extra space and
adjust the word space fails, even on subsequent lines of text.

I wrote a trimmed down example that exhibits the problem:

  https://gist.github.com/lelit/f0e1ed1e2f9dec431463bec77a047362

You can see the problem in the third paragraph here:

  https://gist.github.com/lelit/f0e1ed1e2f9dec431463bec77a047362#file-hyphenation_glitch-pdf

Does this ring any bell or should I simply blame the specific font's metrics?

Thanks in advance,
bye, lele.
lele at metapensiero.it  |                 -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.