[reportlab-users] Strange properties of PDF files created on Windows 10

Axel P. Kielhorn python-rl at axelkielhorn.de
Tue Jan 7 09:05:53 EST 2020

> Am 07.01.2020 um 14:33 schrieb Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com>:
>
> On 07/01/2020 11:35, Axel P. Kielhorn wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I create PDF files on Windows 10 with Python 3.7.5 and reportlab 3.5.26.
>> Everything is fine, but when I copy the files to an USB drive with a FAT32 filesystem I get the following message:
>> Die Datei X.pdf verfügt über Eigenschaften, die nicht an den neuen Ort kopiert werden können.
>> The File X.pdf has properties that cannot be copied to the new location.
> Hi again Axel,
>
> my colleague Djan created a trivial PDF with reportlab 3.5.32 on windows 10 and copying via command line or using the file manager did not cause any error messages to appear. Perhaps there's something special about the system or the usb.
>
> Certainly reportlab doesn't create any special properties when writing files out. We did notice that the copy did not preserve ownership (using file properties).
>
> Our test script looked like this
>
> ##########################################
> from reportlab.pdfgen.canvas import Canvas
> canv = Canvas("test.pdf")
> canv.drawString(72,72,"Hello World!")
> canv.save()

The PDF generated from that file works fine.

I’ll try to find out where I do something special.

I suspect either keywords or encryption.

It was keywords.
When I remove the PDF Keywords I get rid of that message.
Which is weird, since I can’t see the keywords anywhere in the Explorer.

I’ll ask the client if they actually use the keywords.

Thanks for looking into it.