[reportlab-users] Compute the "ideal" image size

Lele Gaifax lele at metapensiero.it
Sun Jan 5 09:49:01 EST 2020

Hi all, and happy new year!

When I produce a PDF with some embedded bitmap image, I always face the
problem of finding a good balance between resulting PDF "weight" and overall
printout quality.

In other words, in a page where I put a particular JPEG image in a square box
of 5 cm, what size (in pixels) should I use for the image without wasting too
much disk space embedding un-resized multi-mega-pixels image as obtained by
modern digital cameras in the PDF?

I understand that the answer is conditioned on the printer technology used to
render the PDF on paper and probably other factors... so, assuming it's some
modern-but-common inkjet printer, what would you suggest as a reasonable
relation between a box sized in "PDF points" and the related JPEG image
"pixels"?

Thanks in advance,
ciao, lele.
lele at metapensiero.it  |                 -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.