[reportlab-users] pageNumber attribute "countingFrom" does not appear to work

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Jan 8 11:48:31 EST 2019

Not sure exactly which example you started from, but in the rlextra examples available here

https://bitbucket.org/rptlab/rlextra-examples

in test_002_paras.rml you could try changing the two countingFrom values 2 --> 8 and see that the first page then comes out
numbered -6. So at least there it appears to be working.

The expressed page comes out as doc.page - countingFrom + 1

where doc.page starts at 1. With countingFrom set as 2 the first pdf page should have a pageNumber value of 0.

If you have three front matter pages then setting countingFrom=3 on the numbered pages and having three pages with no pageNumber
tag means the the first content page can use a template with countingFrom="3" and be numbered 1.