[reportlab-users] Web accessible PDFs

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Tue Dec 3 03:03:59 EST 2019

Good morning, and my apologies for the late reply - I was travelling all
yesterday.  Thank you for the interest in ReportLab!

ReportLab currently scores fairly highly for accessibility, if the
developers writing the reports pay attention to some basic things during
the PDF generation.  We are working (and make reports for) a UK company,
SiteMprse, which scans a lot of public sector web sites and reports on
accessibility, and we get 8/10 on their PDF accessibility scale.
This fall we also added the ability to tag the files for a language.   I
don't know how much you know about PDF internal; we 're working on adding
the tree of tagging information so that screen readers can 'understand' the
heading and chapter structure of the story, and we can hopefully go for a
'maximum possible score'; however, there are very few tools out there that
do support this without a human touching up each and every flle, and the
majority of PDFs on the majority of web sites score very poorly.

I see we also had an enquiry from Matt Laporte which I will reply to
shortly.  If you're looking to generate accessible statistical reports from
underlying data, that is what we do, and I'm sure we can help.  Perhaps we
can arrange a screenshare ?

--
Andy Robinson
Managing Director, ReportLab