[reportlab-users] pdf-with-embedded-ttf-font-does-not-print

Henning von Bargen H.vonBargen at t-p.com
Wed Mar 7 03:41:14 EST 2018

Probably this is not a Reportlab issue at all.
I suspect an error in the MS Windows printing system or in the printer driver or in the way the applications print.

This may be related:
I am using a 3rd-party PDF printing library.
This had worked for >10 years now more or less without issues...
... until recently, when several customers complained that sometimes part of the printed output was missing, e.g. some text was missing on the pages.
The library vendor told me that the library works in such a way that the subsetted TrueType fonts (contained in the PDF) are extracted and temporarily installed on windows, then they are used to print the document using the windows APIs, then they are uninstalled again.
When printing on a network printer, one has to tell the library to wait until the printer has actually finished printing before uninstalling the TTFs again - it is NOT sufficient to wait until the print job has successfully been submitted.
This problem happens far more often when the printer is connected to Windows 2012 or newer.

I wouldn't be surprised if Edge and Chrome have the same problem.

HTH

Henning