[reportlab-users] tag <font> in Platipus worked, but <font> Not Supported in HTML5 and deprecated.

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Fri Aug 3 21:33:46 EDT 2018

Maxim Danilov wrote:

> I worked with report lab already 3 years. This is perfect.
>
> Sometimes I use for Letter-color or Letter-size changes HTML tag font>.
> For example:
>
> text = “This is the font color="red">RED/font> color."
> I send this in Paragraph (text), para_style. color=“black”. After
> that I have red word “RED”.
>
> it worked perfectly, but for future <font> don’t should be used:
> The <font> tag is not supported in HTML5.

I think it is important to understand that ReportLab is not trying to be
a fully standards-compliant HTML interpreter, and never have been.  They
use an HTML-like syntax, but I don't see that they have any obligation
to redesign themselves to meet standards set by another body for
entirely different purposes.

> But I like Reportlab and I want to help make it more modern!

But to what end?  ReportLab is not a browser.  It doesn't have to
compete with Chrome and Firefox.  Their syntax implements the features
they want to provide.  You surely don't expect them to implement full
Cascading Style Sheet support, do you?  That would be a huge burden.
Without that, the <font> tag is really what you need to use.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.