[reportlab-users] Hyphenation

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Mon Apr 23 14:51:36 EDT 2018

Mike,

my “alternative paragraphs” didn’t go anywhere after I put them online. As I said, hyphenation was always very low priority for ReportLab, and it was always hard to find a larger audience who would see the value behind it. Even today it’s not considered important on the web.

I was browsing a few hours ago on “python hyphenation” and found some stuff I was not aware of, like http://pyphen.org. Much of this seems to build on language dictionaries in OpenOffice/LibreOffice, like wordaxe. Unfortunately, I could not convince Henning to package his wordaxe much earlier using distuils and even now it only shows a one line description on PyPI:

https://pypi.org/project/wordaxe/#description

I’ve added him on CC to this message as I’m not sure he’s still on this list.

I’ve digged out a sample project of mine from 2008 that uses wordaxe with German text. The PDFs are ca. 250 KB and too large for this list (which has some low limit like 40 KB or so). I’m happy to send it all to you via email (if it’s still working), not sure it’s still working.

Concerning your book: I’ve backed it on Kickstarter already (some greater package), so feel free to point me to any sneak preview. I just don’t have the time to provide extended, substantial feedback.

Cheers,

Dinu