[reportlab-users] Revival of svglib

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Wed Jan 4 08:39:46 EST 2017

Hi and Happy New Year!

A long time ago I wrote a package named svglib that would let me use SVG files in reportlab-generated PDFs. This projects has become dormant for many years, but some people kept nagging me a about updates. This recently resulted in Claude Paroz fixing a lot of remaining issues and helping with the migration to Python 3, which is really great news. Thanks, Claude! During the process we have even found a buglet in reportlab, which Robin, promptly as usual, fixed in v. 3.3.26. [1] (although that fix, being one in an increased reportlab package micro version, is available only for registered reportlab users from the reportlab PyPI server [2]).

So, if you have some SVG to use in your PDFs, please have a look at the code, run the extensive test suite (pulling in lots of samples from Wikipedia and W3C) and, even better, run it on your own SVGs and report any issues you find, before we are going to make a new revival release this January. There might still be some little issues left, but this new release will be the msot feature-complete svglib ever, running on Python 2 and 3.

Also, the svglib codebase is hosted on GitHub now, so feel invited to star and/or watch the repository! [3]

Best,

Dinu

[1] https://bitbucket.org/rptlab/reportlab/issues/98/
[2] https://www.reportlab.com/pypi/