[reportlab-users] What are cropMarks

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri Apr 21 02:41:48 EDT 2017

On 20 April 2017 at 14:27, Mike Driscoll <mike at pythonlibrary.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to figure out what all the arguments to the Canvas object do and
> noticed that there is a cropMarks argument. The docstring says the
> following:
>
> cropMarks may be True/False or an object with parameters borderWidth,
> markColor, markWidth       and markLength

Going from memory, if you set this to True, we will make the page 3mm
larger than declared and draw some crop marks on the corners.  Turn it
on and see!

This is done because commonly you might want a web and a print version
of the same document.  The web version might be exactly A4 or US
Letter sized, but the printer wants a bigger page with 3mm bleed
around the edge so they can "cut" it.  It would be very tedious to
have to change the x and y coordinates of everything in the document.
 So, a web form might have a checkbox saying "is it for print or web?"
and this does most of the work.

The object was added later and allows further customisation.

Look in the RML User's Guide for some more explanation, but the
feature is the same.

- Andy