[reportlab-users] Change PDF Version that reportlab generates

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Mar 10 12:22:26 EST 2016

Hi all,

We have discussed this internally a few times.

We believe we are doing the right thing technically by advertising the
lowest possible version and ensuring our PDFs work everywhere.
However, if other apps (or humans) are grumbling that it has an
outdated header, or if this is causing real problems for any
workflows, I'd love to know about it.

Some changes to internal structures might be needed to issue
ISO-standard PDF 1.7.  The problem is that lots of people would
instantly assume we support everything which is possible in PDF 1.7,
which would need hundreds of man-years of development   :-(

- Andy