[reportlab-users] format error? Boy is that confusing!

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu May 7 08:24:35 EDT 2015

On 07/05/2015 10:53, Andy Robinson wrote:
> Just a thought. Maybe we could do more checks on the href parameter
> when parsing (e.g. if a local file URL, check it exists) and raise an
> exception earlier, in addition to when formatting?
>
> - Andy

I think we only have two kinds of links in paragraph <a> tags

1) internal jumps

2) external links

We cannot check 1 at parse time because the target is not generally expected to
exist at parse time and even if the jump is backwards the target may or may not
have been processed into a findable form at the time of parsing.

We cannot check 2 at parse time because it is not expected to be executable
except by a document reader ie we're several layers away from executing the link
in a suitable environment.