[reportlab-users] Font Helvetica always used?

Axel P. Kielhorn python-rl at axelkielhorn.de
Tue Jun 16 15:04:55 EDT 2015

> Am 16.06.2015 um 18:43 schrieb Glenn Linderman <v+python at g.nevcal.com>:
>
> On 6/16/2015 7:36 AM, ECP Admin via reportlab-users wrote:
>> Thanks for answering. Yes you are right, the 14 default fonts (including Helvetica) are always available in every PDF document. So what's the problem? I have created a PDF document with 3 external fonts. The result is a document that lists 3 embedded fonts and one (unused) internal font (Helvetica). I have send this document to a german online         printing service (flyeralarm.de), but the data check complains
>> and the document was rejected. The reason: Only embedded font are allowed. Hmm ... perculiar, perhaps a gray area. In my case the Helvetica font isn't used, so it isn't necessary to include this font. A similar document without the Helvetica font is accepted. So my question is: Is there any chance that you only incorporate the really used fonts in the document header?
>>
>> Regards Klaus
>
> Sounds like the german online printing service data check is inappropriately rejecting the standard fonts that _all_ PDF viewers are required to support.

They should support Helvetica, but which version?

Some year ago the Euro was introduced.
The Helvetica I have on my computer contains the Euro glyph.
The Helvetica in my printer does not.

Assuming that a font with the correct name is suitable to print the document is dangerous.

PDF/X (and PDF/A) requires all fonts to be embedded.

I can understand that the printer rejected the job.

Axel