[reportlab-users] CJK fonts

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Mon Jan 5 17:38:53 EST 2015

ReportLab doesn't do it.  Again, it would slow things to a crawl so
was never our focus, and in 15 years no customer has asked. On the
other hand, for document titles and one-page documents, it would not
be hard to have a 'draw kerned string' routine; PDF provides all the
primitives for it.

I honestly have no idea how many of the popular fonts these days have
kerning tables in them. Now that Google have made their fonts archive
available as a repo, it would be interesting to write an app to
explore them and run queries like that...

- Andy

On 5 January 2015 at 21:06, Glenn Linderman <v+python at g.nevcal.com> wrote:
> On 1/5/2015 12:01 PM, Andy Robinson wrote:
>
> The slowest part in most real-world documents
> is paragraph-wrapping, which requires us looking up the width of every
> character to size the words.
>
> Which reminds of that what I'm not seeing in any of the font or font
> subsetting code is anything about kerning... is kerning a lost art with
> modern scalable fonts, or is it just not bothered with except in high-end
> typesetting applications?  I sort of expected to find some kerning tables in
> the fonts, but haven't. At least, not yet.

Andy Robinson
Managing Director
ReportLab Europe Ltd.
Thornton House, Thornton Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 4NG, UK
Tel +44-20-8405-6420