[reportlab-users] Arabic support

Fran Boon francisboon at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 10:23:45 EDT 2015

On 24 August 2015 at 15:07, Fran Boon <francisboon at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using the currently released ReportLab (3.2.0) for PDF support
> within Sahana ( http://sahanafoundation.org )
> All has gone fine until working with Arabic...the font is fine using
> Unifont (http://unifoundry.com/pub/unifont-7.0.06/font-builds/unifont-7.0.06.ttf)
> however the characters in each word are left-to-right so it's
> nonsensical.

> I found an open Ticket which suggests following up on this mailing list
> https://bitbucket.org/rptlab/reportlab/issues/31/arabic-language-not-support-in-reportlab
> It mentions a rtl-support patch that was being merged in...what is the
> status of that?

I think I found the branch which has this included:
https://bitbucket.org/rptlab/reportlab/src/f0426d8c4e7c1318f5c74181b5907a251ff2f302/?at=rtl-support

The BitBucket site is almost non-functional for me - seems that all
the JS/CSS is being Aborted when it tries to download from
Cloudfront...so I'm not able to do the 'Compare' that is available.

What is the holdup with getting this into the main tree?

> (I confess I'm not quite sure what ArabicWriter adds on top of this:
> https://github.com/hasenj/arabic-writer/wiki)

I now understabnd what this does, an alternative implmentation is here:
http://mpcabd.igeex.biz/python-arabic-text-reshaper/

I got these links from:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17166198/arabic-text-is-not-properly-wrapped-in-reportlabs-paragraph-flowable