[reportlab-users] Incorrect character composition

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Mon Apr 20 19:00:22 EDT 2015

On 4/20/2015 8:38 AM, Robin Becker wrote:
> On 20/04/2015 11:54, Glenn Linderman wrote:
>> On 4/20/2015 2:20 AM, Robin Becker wrote:
>>>
>>> 1) try an experiment to see if PDF renderers will accept the GPOS
>>> information
>>> in a specific font and make good use of it. I guess we can use
>>> illustrator or
>>> equivalent to make a sample document. Examining the dejaVuSans font
>>> shows it
>>> certainly has GPOS information.
>>
>> Maybe. The attempt will also be instructive regarding how Illustrator
>> might
>> handle such combined characters... if it does (I don't have
>> Illustrator to test
>> with, but since it is from Adobe, it well might)... and what the
>> generated PDF
>> looks like... if it contains positioning instructions, or depends on
>> the PDF
>> display tools to have a good renderer.
>>

> well unfortunately the illustrator test produced exactly the wrong
> results; I copied the text from my sample DejaVuSans output into an
> illustrator text box with font set at dejavusans book. Illustrator or
> the copy and paste did exactly the wrong thing and converted only
> those pairs that are in the font already.
>
> I also tried the effect of hand typing an A and then selecting a
> diacritic from illustrator's text/glyph window. The characters were
> sort of composed in the input window, but they were not well displayed
> and looked the same in a saved PDF. Our own output actually looked
> better for this case.
>
> Result indecisive. I will have to do further work to test the actual
> embedded font to see if it contains gpos info.

It would be interesting, perhaps, to file that as a bug report with
Adobe, and see they how they handle the report, or if they explain a
workaround, or just admit to lack of support for such things.

Meantime, seeing your approach of looking at Illustrator output, I had a
friend with Acrobat take my little test string and create a PDF from
Acrobat.  Results look good, and are at:
http://nevcal.com/temporary/openo-Acrobat.pdf Maybe seeing what they do
will help.  File is big enough they must have embedded something or
another, font-wise.

Glenn