[reportlab-users] Asterisks in barcode human readable text

Kumar Varadarajulu Kumar.Varadarajulu at dealertrack.com
Mon Apr 13 13:02:31 EDT 2015

Dear All

Sorry for the resend. Sending as plain text.

We are using reportlab2.6 with python 2.7 to generate barcodes of standard39 and extended39 formats.

We have a requirement, that asterisks (*) must be displayed in the human readable text of barcode.

Looking at the implementation of Extended39 and Standard39 we can see that * is excluded from human readable text (Method _humanText in reportlab/graphics/barcode/code39.py:138)

As a workaround we have created custom Extended39 and Standard309 formats and overridden _humanText method to include * ), and we have monkey patched function getCodes (in reportlab/graphics/barcode/__init__.py)

Can you please let me know if we have a better alternative to overriding _humanText method to return asterisks (*) for human readable text.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks
Kumar Varadarajulu