[reportlab-users] apple fonts

Brenda J. Butler bjb at credil.org
Mon Sep 29 14:00:01 EDT 2014

On 09/29/2014 01:40 PM, Tim Roberts wrote:
> Andy Robinson wrote:
>> THE FONT SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR
>> FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC
>> CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE
>> FAILURE OF THE FONT SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR
>> SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.
>
> What are the failure modes for a font?

I can imagine that someone wanted to apply some kind of emphasis to the word NOT
in the following sentences, and it ended up making the word NOT invisible:

    You must NOT pour the acid over the base.

    You must NOT unplug the respirator when the patient wheezes and gasps for breath.

Or whatever.

Easy to see in these examples, not so easy to spot in the 482 page user manual
or specification document.

--
}{ Centre for Research and Experimental Development in Informatics Libre

Brenda J. Butler
bjb at credil.org
+1 613 693 0684  #3202
F3018 - 283 Alexandre Taché
Gatineau (QC) J9A 1L8 CANADA
Sustainable Innovation // Innovation Durable