[reportlab-users] inserting image in dynamic .prep file without saving image first

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Tue Sep 2 19:22:35 EDT 2014

Hi David,

Are you using z3c.rml?

This was not written by ReportLab and we do not support it.  I think
it is likely they just haven't implemented that tag; you'd need to ask
the author(s).  Try an evaluation copy of ReportLab PLUS to be
sure....

- Andy

On 3 September 2014 00:08, David <ldl08 at gmx.net> wrote:
> Dear Robin,
>
> thank you for guiding me in the right direction. Seeking to take the
> next steps, I tried to create a basic rml file following your
> instructions (currently no preppy):
>
> <para style="textstyle1">
> <illustration height="200" width="150">
> <image file="" x="0" y="0">
> <inlineData filters="ascii85
> gzip">Gaob at B35f%hoFCm>=?Gi.rhAp;,b;f,==7C>I_7M'on0oMCEGjZHTBh:!;#n7qH68DOY<?C0#"@bDN`&TDSYY
>
> [...]
>
> </inlineData>
> </image>
> </illustration>
>
> </para>
>
> Now, running
>
> $ python trigger.py test_032_images_adapted.rml
>
> runs without an error message and creates a PDF (attached). However, it
> does not insert a graphic, just some text from the binary code.
>
> Without any error messages I am at a loss as to where to look for the
> problem. I assume my rml file to be faulty, but do not know how to
> proceed from here.
>
> I would greatly appreciate your insights and support!
>
> Cheers,
>
> David
>

> On 29/08/14 11:16, Robin Becker wrote:
>> On 29/08/2014 01:00, David wrote:
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> following this recipe ( http://stackoverflow.com/a/19160507 ), I am
>>> trying to emulate the "not saving an image on the hard disk" approach
>>> for z3c and preppy in an dynamic .prep file.
>>>
>>> I fail and hope for your wisdom.
>>>
>>> Two questions:
>>>

>>> a) what object type does z3c.rml expect for images?
>> I'm not exactly sure what's meant here: rml contains only text so unless
>> z3c.rml provides plugin flowables or graphics theres only text available.
>>

>>> b) How would you suggest do I approach the goal of not saving images on
>>> my hard drive yet inserting them in a pdf via z3c?
>>>
>> in modern rml you can use an inlineData tag inside an image tag. Our
>> tests include this
>>
>> <illustration height="200" width="150">
>>     <image file="" x="0" y="0">
>>         <inlineData filters="ascii85
>> gzip">Gaob at B35f%hoFCm>=?Gi.rhAp;,b;f,==7C>I_7M'on0oMCEGjZHTBh:!;#n7qH68DOY<?C0#"@bDN`&TDSYY(['=on[krFIEqTY4eZ:-1s\Q7i!$o?_#G/]#R#]D?n`E!JO#o*(^pV(_\!0-QBi:!M+"%6BJ^W[_-jNM*"IbEj0c;&#m>j?NXh1BeCE+"e'ldtf-c\O"pP9dL5

>> [U.b0P5FS5q at Ae$iXUOQR?/_]6\uD;_Wi*G.Y<&_n\uUU-5QCdGa-HhT~></inlineData>
>>
>>     </image>
>> </illustration>
>>
>> so in your prep file you can just create the image as bytes and convert
>> to a readable form using various compressions and encodings. The dtd
>> says this
>>

>> <!ELEMENT image (inlineData?)>
>> <!ATTLIST image
>>     file CDATA #REQUIRED
>>     x CDATA #REQUIRED
>>     y CDATA #REQUIRED
>>     width CDATA #IMPLIED
>>     height CDATA #IMPLIED
>>     inline CDATA #IMPLIED
> [...]

Andy Robinson
Managing Director
ReportLab Europe Ltd.
Thornton House, Thornton Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 4NG, UK
Tel +44-20-8405-6420