[reportlab-users] How are split, wrap, wrapOn supposed to work?

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Wed Nov 19 06:22:59 EST 2014

On 19/11/2014 08:10, Henning von Bargen wrote:

> Ok, I think I understand.
>
> So I could just as well return a width of e.g. 4*emspace - a smaller
> width
> doesn't make sense anyway, and I don't want the text to be written
> across
> the margin/border.
>
> However, I'll have to assure that this doesn't collide with the use case
> of
> a (New)Paragraph used inside a platypus.Table cell with a small column
> width.
>
> Henning
.
Henning,

I have changed the ImageAndFlowables class so it avoids the negative
availableWidth case, but effectively there's no reasonable minimum width > 0
which can be rejected unless all flowables can be made to provide a minimum width.

To force a split call you can always return something larger than the specified
available width or if things are to be laid out anyway some proper minimum width
ought to be used. My preference would be for paragraphs to return the smallest
word size when presented with the impossible.