[reportlab-users] Umlaut Bug with Adobe Reader and Arial

Volker Haas volker.haas at brainbot.com
Wed Jun 4 03:06:07 EDT 2014

Am 29.05.2014 12:20, schrieb Robin Becker:
> Volker,
>
> not sure if this might be a solution, but I have tried out freetype
> autohinting on the arialbd.ttf file
>
> http://www.freetype.org/ttfautohint/doc/ttfautohint.html
>
> the hinted result ttf seems to be both smaller and work better (for
> reportlab at least). Unfortunately, at high magnifications I can see
> that the hinting is not identical.

Hi Robin,
thanks for your efforts in solving this strange problem. I can finally
confirm that the ttfautohinting does the trick!

Regarding the longer examples exhibiting the Umlaut Problem: I have
longer examples, but they aren't really usable for you since they occur
when using our mediawiki-PDF-rendering-framework (mwlib.rl). I could add
more flowables to the minimal example I initially send - but I believe
that doesn't really help...

Best Regards and thanks again,
Volker

--