[reportlab-users] Need help with a table problem: style setting on very last line of a table split over pages

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Tue Jan 14 17:49:15 EST 2014

On 14 January 2014 22:40, Boar Gules <reportlab at boargules.com> wrote:

> In any case, I can't imagine I'm the only person who has ever wanted to do

> this.

Maybe, but I think you are the first one to point it out to us!

> So, what is the proper way to apply a different style only to the very last

> logical line of a table, even if it is split over multiple pages and so has

> more than one physical last line?

Is it not possible to just leave off the last row, then generate a
separate one-row table with the right style you need, with no space
between them?

I don't actually believe there is a clean way to do it IN ONE TABLE.
The table styling language was thought up before we ran into 'how to
split them over tables'. It's a tricky one as we make a single
forward pass, printing what we can on the current page and chopping
off the remains into a new table which we put back on the stack. I
guess one would need additional style options to indicate whether
every table style command with a negative coordinate should be
calculated "from the last row on the last page" or "from the last row
on this page"

In general, it's often a good idea to split up what looks like a big
complex table into smaller "table-lets" with no space between. It
makes the styling much simpler to code and follow. This is
particularly true of banded reports with groups and subgroups.

Hope this helps,

Andy