[reportlab-users] ReportLab 3.x packaging and deployment

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Mon Jan 13 08:58:22 EST 2014

On 13 January 2014 13:32, Marius Gedminas <marius at gedmin.as> wrote:

> I agree with it 100%.

Here is my very naive understanding, from occasional attempts to
follow the sig over the years....

1. in the beginning there was distutils
2. setuptools got popular, then got forked to distribute. They are
now trying to merge into something new which will replace distutils
completely. setuptools is the unified version
3. Guido et al not want the "new improved technology" in Python itself
yet, because once it goes in, it's effectively frozen and can't be
improved further. That's why distutils is still in the Python
distribution. But at some point, "what evolves from setuptools" will
go into a future Python and replace distutils.

Could you tell me if this is roughly correct?

Thanks,

Andy