[reportlab-users] Python 3.x progress

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Mon Jan 13 07:43:55 EST 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 04:20:09PM +0000, Robin Becker wrote:

> On 10/01/2014 13:37, Stephan Richter wrote:

> >Why don't you just switch to Pillow for both, Python 2.7 and 3.3?

> Pillow-2.3.0 is broken for gifs on linux and windows.

Can you link to the issue? Usually Pillow's upstream is responsive and
cares about their bugs.

> On linux 2.0.0 certainly works ok for python 3.3.

> Currently I'm having difficulty building pillow 2.0.0 for windows.

There are Windows binaries available from PyPI. Both .exe installers
and binary .egg's you can install with easy_install.

Pillow 2.2 and newer also have binary windows wheels you can install
with 'pip install'.

> I have tried to set up the various roots and the compilations appear

> to work, but my lib dirs don't bear any obvious relation to the build

> dirs for stuff so I end up with a mysterious

> LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'LIBC.lib'

> bah, I thought pillow was supposed to make this go away, but it's

> just as hard as before.

Why are you building Pillow instead of using prebuilt binary packages
that would make this go away?

> I shouldn't rely on pre-built binaries :(

Why?

Marius Gedminas
--
Making software smarter is much easier than making people smarter.
-- Matthew Paul Thomas