[reportlab-users] Using Symbola or equivalent Unicode6 font with Reportlab

Mathieu Comandon strycore at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 12:09:35 EST 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to generate a set of "superfonts" based on Symbola.ttf (
http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/ ). The plan is to merge the regular fonts
we use in our application with Symbola.ttf in order to allow printing
almost any possible glyph.

I tried generating a PDF from sources containing Unicode6 characters or
non-latin alphabets (Japanese, Chinese, Arabic, Hebrew). Neither the
composite Times + Symbola I created on FontForge nor the plain Symbola
displayed the non Latin characters.

Before I go any further, like converting Symbola to a CIDFont, which if I
understand is they right way to display non Latin characters, I would like
to know if I'm heading into the right direction. Is this even possible, or
am i going to hit a wall at some point ?

Thanks,
Mathieu