[reportlab-users] Problems generating PDFs with drawText()

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Sun Dec 14 16:14:24 EST 2014

Marius, are you talking about ReportLab 2.7/3.x, or Python 2.7/3.x?

Either way if there is a bug here we will look into it tomorrow morning.

- Andy Robinson

On 14 December 2014 at 21:08, Marius Flage <marius at flage.org> wrote:
> Your answer did at least lead me to downgrade to 2.7 and then both
> approaches worked - both Table() and drawText().
>
> Thanks, I guess :)
>
> - Marius
>
> Den 14.12.2014 15:43, skrev Adrian Klaver:
>> On 12/14/2014 05:17 AM, Marius Flage wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I wrote a small script to generate invoices from GNUCash with reportlab,
>>> but haven't been able to use it for the last couple of years. Firstly
>>> because an error with the drawOn and Table methods which outputted
>>> nothing. After an upgrade to the latest version of reportlab, then
>>> tabular data started working again and I could use these methods again,
>>> but now drawText() has stopped working. drawString() works fine, but
>>> drawText() outputs nothing in the PDF document.
>>>
>>> Here's my code:
>>>
>>> from reportlab.lib.units import mm
>>> from reportlab.lib import colors
>>> from reportlab.lib.pagesizes import A4
>>> from reportlab.pdfgen import canvas
>>> from reportlab.platypus import *
>>> from reportlab.rl_config import defaultPageSize
>>> from reportlab.lib.styles import getSampleStyleSheet
>>>
>>> c = canvas.Canvas("test.pdf", A4)
>>>
>>> # company information
>>> text = c.beginText()
>>> text.setTextOrigin(150*mm, 282*mm)
>>> text.textLines("""test dwkmflwkmfw
>>> telkmtlwkmtw
>>> tlkmewltmwt""")
>>> c.drawText(text)
>>>
>>> c.showPage()
>>> c.save()
>>>
>>> ---------
>>>
>>> But test.pdf is empty. Any idea? I'm running the latest version of
>>> reportlab as installed from pip install reportlab.
>>
>> No idea. I can confirm though that the above works in 2.7 but not in
>> 3.1.8
>>

>>> - Marius

Andy Robinson
Managing Director
ReportLab Europe Ltd.
Thornton House, Thornton Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 4NG, UK
Tel +44-20-8405-6420