[reportlab-users] Micr font advice in reportlab

J. R. Carroll jrc.csus at gmail.com
Wed May 29 13:02:23 EDT 2013

I forgot to add that the ttf font does have the semi-colon mapped as the
funky-p shape, but the afm/pfb fonts do not (they are using the
double-quote instead). Perhaps thats the confusion between the font-spec
provides versus the fonts you are trying to embed.

-j

----

J. R. Carroll
Cell: (650) 776-6613
www.jrcresearch.net
www.ontvp.com
Email: jrcarroll at jrcresearch.net
jrcarroll at hurtzlab.com
jrc.csus at gmail.com
<https://www.facebook.com/J.R.Car>
<https://twitter.com/jNammer><http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrcarroll>

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 12:44 PM, J. R. Carroll <jrc.csus at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sending this backup to the listserv as a response - removing the image as

> it was 'too large'. My apologies if this gets double-posted.

> -j

> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 12:39 PM, J. R. Carroll <jrc.csus at gmail.com>wrote:

>> Mike,

>> Not sure, but if you are trying to get the 'funky P' shape you emailed

>> about a few weeks back (as in the image I am attaching [EDIT] IMAGE

>> REMOVED) - that's easy enough (but I'm assuming this is a different

>> issue)...

>> If you are trying to get a semi-colon, I don't believe E13-B as a

>> standard has that (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MICR.svg and its

>> parent article

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_ink_character_recognition). On

>> inspection of the "demo" fonts available via the links you provided (as I

>> would love to help *the Mr. Driscoll* of

>> http://www.blog.pythonlibrary.org/, I can't afford the $$ to buy the

>> legit font, no offense =P), they say they only omit 7. 8. and 9 with no

>> mention of omitting a semi-colon. Furthermore, inspecting the

>> character/glyph map of the demo fonts show that there is no mapping for

>> semi-colon key-strokes to a comp micr/e13b glyph. If you are truly trying

>> to get a semi-colon, my guess is that you'll have to switch fonts

>> mid-string (or make your own glyph for the semi-colon - aka copy one over).

>> If, for whatever reason you were trying to get the 'funky P' you

>> mentioned in previous listserv questions, that symbol is mapped to the

>> double-quote key (as the image I attached shows [EDIT] IMAGE REMOVED) - if

>> this is an old/retired issue, then ignore this.

>> -J

>> ----

>> J. R. Carroll

>> Cell: (650) 776-6613

>> www.jrcresearch.net

>> www.ontvp.com

>> Email: jrcarroll at jrcresearch.net

>> jrcarroll at hurtzlab.com

>> jrc.csus at gmail.com

>> <https://www.facebook.com/J.R.Car> <https://twitter.com/jNammer><http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrcarroll>

>> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Henning von Bargen <H.vonBargen at t-p.com

>> > wrote:

>>> it out,

>>> called

>>> of the

>>> Reportlab

>>> looking

>>> see the

>>> eaten.

>>> think), so

>>> You are wrong, the semi-colon is there!

>>> When I open your attached PDF file with Adobe Reader,

>>> select the whole text and copy it into a text editor,

>>> it is shown as

>>> 123456; :1234567890: 1111111111

>>> Note the semi-colon after 123456.

>>> HTH