[reportlab-users] Moving to Bitbucket, and development roadmap..

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 20 10:28:46 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 6:39 AM, Andy Robinson <andy at reportlab.com> wrote:

> On 19 March 2013 19:03, Stephan Richter <stephan.richter at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Please do not use 2to3 or 3to2! It is slow and porting code to work in 2.7 and

>> 3.3 is easy. (I have just ported with some developers 100+ of the ZF packages

>> to run in Python 2.6, 2.7 and 3.3. Several packages also have PyPy and PPython

>> 3.2 support.)

> Thanks. It worked for Django too. This sounds like the way to go.

> - Andy

I would expect bytes vs unicode to be quite an issue in ReportLab, and
this is one of the hardest bits to deal with in a single code base targeting
both Python 2 and 3. The good news is if you only target Python 2.7 and
Python 3.3 onwards, you get to use byte and unicode literals in both (this
was missing in Python 3.0 to 3.2). http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0414/

If you still needed to support older Pythons, then 2to3 is a safer bet IMHO.

Peter