[reportlab-users] PDF Document Resolution

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Sat Mar 2 17:15:34 EST 2013

On 2 March 2013 14:34, Perry Ratcliff <perry.ratcliff at hotmail.com> wrote:

> So far, it appears that ReportLab only supports generation of PDF Documents

> at 72 dpi.

PDF is a vector graphics format. It has 'infinite resolution'. If
you write code to draw shapes and text, either at a low level using
our canvas or using our own higher level constructs, it stores vectors
and the output will be sharp.

If you choose to embed bitmap images inside a PDF file, you're in
control of the resolution of those bitmaps. There is generally not
much point using a higher resolution than the best printer you will
use - maybe 1440 DPI for really high quality professional print, or
150 for photos (where colours are more important).

I think you have misunderstood the fact that the PDF coordinate system
is 'points', with 72 points per inch. So if you draw a dot at (144,
144) it will be 2 inches up from the bottom and in from the left.
That's all it means.

Hope this helps,

--
Andy Robinson