[reportlab-users] Handling TrueType fonts not allowing subsetting

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Wed Jun 19 16:07:12 EDT 2013

Andy Robinson:

>> https://code.google.com/p/googlefontdirectory/

> That is a REALLY nice resource to have - thank you! If we get a

> 'quiet patch' this summer I'll look into a command to

> auto-download-and-install from it.

What do you mean with a "quiet patch"? It seems like there is no archive
with TTF/OTF files only, but you need to clone the entire (2.5 GB) Mer-
curial repo... If you want to do that you can filter these files into
one folder like this:

hg clone https://code.google.com/p/googlefontdirectory
mkdir gfd
find googlefontdirectory -name "*.[ot]tf" -exec cp '{}' gfd ';'

Some files appear only as OTF or TTF, most appear in both formats. A very
quick count inside that folder gives me 805 distinct font family names
(excluding additions like "-Regular" etc:

> import os

> l = os.listdir(".")

> names = sorted(set([n[:n.find("-")] if "-" in n else n[:-4] for n in l]))

> len(names)

805

This is a freaking number that screams for a volunteer to make some kind
of font catalog PDF to chose from... But I suppose this would be a huge
file and Google actually has a pretty nice online interface for that:

http://www.google.com/fonts/

Regards,

Dinu