[reportlab-users] database reporting

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Mon Jun 3 18:18:45 EDT 2013

I just wonder if anyone actually WANTS to do really long
grouped/banded database reports, or if that's just what the tools have
encouraged? IMHO when things get long, you may be better to think
about making a "book" with tables of contents, different presentations
of information, and not everything in tables. In the past 12 years in
business, I haven't met a customer who disagrees. At which point,
ReportLab makes it all possible.

- Andy

On 3 June 2013 21:12, Gary Nutbeam <nutbeam at acrossthebigpond.com> wrote:

> You could try the report writing features of Dabo (which uses reportlab to

> generate it's output), a desktop-centric open source database dev tool for

> python.

> http://www.dabodev.com

> On 06/03/2013 03:01 PM, Silke wrote:

>> To be honest, I think there isn't any DB reporting tool written in Python

>> comparable to the best commercial report design tools.

>> To create just tabular listings, Reportlab's LongTable is fine (I should

>> know, because I developed the patch). For languages with long words, you

>> should use Wordaxe paragraphs with auto hyphenation inside the cells to

>> avoid wasting space. However, a cell must not be longer than one page. For

>> very long text, you could try to split it into paragraphs with less than 200

>> chars and use several table rows then.

>> For more sophisticated reports, I recommend something like Eclipse BIRT -

>> unfortunately, that's Java and not Python, but nobody's perfect.

>> HTH

>> Henning

Andy Robinson
Managing Director
ReportLab Europe Ltd.
Thornton House, Thornton Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 4NG, UK
Tel +44-20-8405-6420