[reportlab-users] Python 3.x progress

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Wed Dec 4 05:53:28 EST 2013

Andy Robinson:

> Many of the failing tests now relate to old demos or documentation

> tools I would prefer to simply get rid of. After some debate

> internally about "using docutils" versus "eating our own dogfood", we

> want to keep the User Guide, which makes itself in PDF with no

> external dependencies, as it is our best test and a compelling demo.

> I am suggesting that we leave some things out of the next version...

> 1. Drop the auto-generated library reference (which walks through

> docstrings in a very weird manner). Replace it with Sphinx

> documentation.

> 2. Drop the auto-generated graphics reference and replace with some

> Sphinx extension to the above. It's just easier to browse this stuff

> on the web

> 3. Drop Pythonpoint, then possibly rebuild it later using new parser technology.

Assuming you don't want to provide a seperate package for Python 2 anymore, you might want to consider to package additional tools like Pythonpoint as, well... additional tools. I remember in ancient times there was the idea to provide an extension mechanism for reportlab, much like Sphinx does today, but apparently that never materialized.

Otherwise: thumbs up for Python 3! BTW, will this also be Reportlab 3?

Regards,

Dinu