[reportlab-users] ReportLab 2.7 accelerators

Marius Gedminas marius at gedmin.as
Fri Apr 5 03:55:40 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 04, 2013 at 11:17:39PM +0100, Andy Robinson wrote:

> This is now fixed. I chose 'option 2' and uploaded the tested tar.gz file,

> and have just completed an installation with 'easy_install reportlab' in a

> virtualenv.

> I am guessing my colleague followed 'option 1' in the PyPI instructions and

> ran 'setup.py upload'. Now we know that this doesn't work, for us at

> least. Clearly, 'setup.py sdist' and 'setup.py upload' have somehow

> attempted to 'improve' on easily understood deployment concepts like

> 'tar/gzip' and 'scp'.

setup.py sdist tries to avoid including junk files in the source
archive, and often errs by excluding too much.

You can write a file called MANIFEST.in to specify which files must be
included: http://docs.python.org/2/distutils/sourcedist.html#manifest-template

I've a tool -- https://pypi.python.org/pypi/check-manifest -- that can
help with this.

> However, we'll be doing a lot more rearranging before the next version, and

> hopefully simplifying our setup.py as we do it, so hopefully we will end up

> compliant with distutils eventually.

> Thanks for bringing this to our attention, and my apologies to anyone else

> who bumped into this.

Marius Gedminas
--
Would humanity have done better if there'd been a sincere, concerned, public
debate on the adoption of fire, and commitees set up to oversee its use?