[reportlab-users] Issues related to setting parameters of graphs, lines, and rectangles, and they are not printing correctly

J. R. Carroll jrcarroll at jrcresearch.net
Thu Nov 29 23:46:50 EST 2012

Also, I still need help with:

I found canvas.setDash() for setting dashed lines, but I am using a

> Drawing() and adding shapes.Lines() to the Drawing, then renderingPDF to my

> canvas - maybe it is the way I have wrapped everything (wrapped in terms of

> loops, classes, and functions), but I cannot get shapes.Lines to be dashed

> (or dotted or any other style other than a Line - which makes sense -

> kinda)...

If anyone has an answer to this, that would be awesome! (or Tim/Andy if
you answered and I didn't see it - sorry!)

-J

----

J. R. Carroll
Independent Researcher through Hurtz Labs
Research Methods, Test Development, and Statistics
www.jrcresearch.net
Cell: (650) 776-6613
Email: jrcarroll at jrcresearch.net
jrcarroll at hurtzlab.com
jrc.csus at gmail.com

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 8:44 PM, J. R. Carroll <jrcarroll at jrcresearch.net>wrote:

> [...]

> The reason I dismissed colors so quickly was that I started off in pink -

> saw the issue at the printer, thought "hmmm - maybe it's the colors" and

> changed it to red. Well red doesn't print very well on all of our printers

> (Cannon, and HP) - and yes, looking back I see how quickly I dismissed it

> especially with how close pink and red are in terms of printer ink -

> but!!!! there's more!! =P It's not the inks fault! We have plenty of

> ink, remember these were being printed in grayscale so color wasn't the

> issue! It was the color<=>grayscale conversion that was the issue.

> The solution: change the color

> The next problem: now we have to find a balance between "what looks good

> on the screen" and "what looks good on print" (in both grayscale and

> color).

> The partial-solution: I created a script that will retrieve all the

> colors in reportlab, print a small sample grid + the color name + color RGB

> values, neatly print them on several PDF pages (thanks to ReportLab!). As

> soon as I did this and sent to to multiple printers - we are seeing which

> colors are working across the sample of available print medias we have, and

> what looks good on the screen! This script/PDF calibrator is really a

> god-send. I don't know if anyone else will ever have use for it, or if

> there are better scripts out there that do the exact same thing, but this

> is really helping us a lot over the next few days.

> If anyone is interested in seeing the output and has access to several

> printers (particular the business grayscale printers you are likely to find

> in a corporation - i.e. Cannon and HP "monsters") download my script, and

> open the resulting PDF (or I can email you the contents of the script in

> case you don't feel comfortable downloading something from my personal

> website). Either way, I hope someone can make use of this solution - I

> know my desk is happy that I'm not pounding my bloody forehead into it

> anymore!

> Script is available for download from:

> http://www.jrcresearch.net/downloads/scripts.zip

> If anyone has ideas on how to improve it - let me know. I'm already

> thinking of other neat printer calibration test prints I can add to this!

> -J

> ----

> J. R. Carroll

> Independent Researcher through Hurtz Labs

> Research Methods, Test Development, and Statistics

> www.jrcresearch.net

> Cell: (650) 776-6613

> Email: jrcarroll at jrcresearch.net

> jrcarroll at hurtzlab.com

> jrc.csus at gmail.com

> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Andy Robinson <andy at reportlab.com> wrote:

>> On 28 November 2012 21:35, J. R. Carroll <jrcarroll at jrcresearch.net>wrote:

>>> I'm on my way out, and would be happy to compile all this information

>>> tomorrow morning, but I think I found the problem. Apparently, neither

>>> printer I was using (nor any printer I have access to) liked color.pink. I

>>> don't think it was ReportLab (and I'm sure you have more insight than I),

>>> but the grayscale handling at the printer just mucked everything up (where

>>> muck = some fancy tech lingo I can't think of right now). As soon as I