[reportlab-users] Reportlab with windows and virtualenv

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Nov 29 09:28:48 EST 2012

On 29/11/2012 14:15, Mark Erbaugh wrote:

> Is there a way to install reportlab into a virtualenv on Windows? Using pip to install fails as I don't have a C compiler installed. The Windows installer only offers to install to my global Python installation.

> Thanks,

> Mark

I think you can install just the python part with the python from the venv and
then try copying the DLLs into place from the website eg

> http://www.reportlab.com/ftp/amd64-dlls-py27.zip

or

> http://www.reportlab.com/ftp/win32-dlls-py27.zip

If all else fails take the source distro and copy the src/reportlab/ folder into
the venv site-packages folder so you have

lib/site-packages/reportlab/.....

and then copy the dlls into

lib/site-packages/

Check you can import the dlls with eg

python -c"import _rl_accel"

and reportlab with python -c"import reportlab".

We do supply all the bits and also the EXE installers, but probably they don't
cooperate with pip / virtual env etc etc.