[reportlab-users] intermittent problem

Jens Lundström jens at twostorysoftware.com
Wed Jun 6 10:33:57 EDT 2012

I am using Django 1.4 / Python 2.7 / reportlab (open source version) to generate pdf.

Things have worked really great and I do pdf generation (as in http requested returned/downloaded generated pdf file) within Django 1.3 but now upgraded to Django 1.4 and now starting to get problems. They seem to be 'random' as it works most of the time but now and again I get 'random' problems (as in I see there are exceptions once in a while in logs) but I have never been able to reproduce problems myself (things works most of the time), the reports are generated using static information so each time the same fix data is accessed and used to generate reports.

What I get is the following type of errors that always happens in pairs

Exception Value: ParaParser instance has no attribute '_seq'
Exception Location: /home/tss/lib/python2.7/reportlab-2.5-py2.7-linux-i686.egg/reportlab/platypus/paraparser.py in _complete_parse, line 1061

and then

Exception Value: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'close'
Exception Location: /home/tss/lib/python2.7/reportlab-2.5-py2.7-linux-i686.egg/reportlab/lib/xmllib.py in close, line 521

I have also seen this error on its own:

Exception Value: list index out of range
Exception Location: /home/tss/lib/python2.7/reportlab-2.5-py2.7-linux-i686.egg/reportlab/platypus/paraparser.py in _push, line 941

Given that I am having a hard time reproducing this and not sure if problem on my side or reportlab - I am open for suggestions on how to troubleshoot this (could it be sync issue as in many generating conccurently or just a plain bug or...) ???

/ Jens