[reportlab-users] floating point AFM parsing issues, reportlab 2.5-1.1 on ubuntu

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri Jan 13 02:53:06 EST 2012

On 13 January 2012 05:27, Mark Eichin <eichin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm converting a little project from the Cairo PDF support to

> reportlab (so far it looks like reportlab is 40 or 50 times faster,

> which is nice) but when I go to actually select a font (instead of

> just keeping the defaults), it blows up:

Mark, thanks for this.

In normal use I would strongly suggest keeping the fonts you wish to
use in version control in your project and explicitly loading them, as
there are just too many variations in system fonts from machine to
machine and release to release; actual bugs are rare but when it does
the scan it will be taking time and visual output may vary.

When we get time we'll try to see if fractional widths are permitted
and/or if there are any performance costs in switching to parsing a
float - or even if we could stop parsing nearer the top of the file.
However, things are very busy at ReportLab right now and it's unlikely
we'll have time to look at it in the next couple of weeks.

Best Regards,

--
Andy Robinson
Managing Director