[reportlab-users] Package imports fail

Brett Davis brettd43 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 18:11:20 EST 2012

Hi ReportLab users,

The following pairs of imports fail silently on my machine:
==
import scipy
import reportlab.platypus
==
import Image
import reportlab.platypus
==
import scipy
import reportlab.pdfgen.canvas
==
import Image
import reportlab.pdfgen.canvas
==

This means that I can't use ReportLab in conjunction with SciPy, and to use
it with the Imaging Library, I have to use Image from the
reportlab.lib.utils namespace. Does anyone know why this happens? I found
the PIL workaround here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2227493/reportlab-and-python-imaging-library-images-from-memory-issuebut
I haven't found anything for SciPy, and I'm not getting any error
information, so I don't even know if it's the same problem.

I'm using Python 2.6.2 on Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3,
SciPy 0.7.1 on top of NumPy 1.3.0, PIL 1.1.7, and ReportLab 2.5. It would
be really nice if anyone could shed some light on this.

Thanks,
Brett