[reportlab-users] Background colour for part of a frame ?

Richard Shea rshea at thecubagroup.com
Tue Dec 18 06:26:18 EST 2012

Hi - I have a frame into which I load a set of flowables. I want part of
this frame to have a background colour (other than white).

So here's the frame and the Z's are where the flowables which need a
background colour appear, the X's are where the background colour should
be white.

The colour needs to be continous (ie no gap between individual
flowables) and the flowables, needing a background colour, in use (in
order) are :

Table
HRFlowable
Spacer
Paragraph
Spacer
Image
Spacer
Table

Each flowable occupies 100% of the Frame width.

What's the best way to do this ?

I can set a background colour in the : Table and Paragraph

The image has a background colour which matches the desired background

But how can the HRFlowable and Spacer be made to have a background
colour which matches the other flowables ?

I have considered using a canvas.rect to draw underneath the flowables
before the page is rendered but I can't figure out how to determine what
they coordinates of the flowables of interest will be after rendering

Any advice welcomed !

regards

Richard