[reportlab-users] pyRXP - strange non-deterministic errors on python 2.7 and 64-bit Linux

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon May 16 04:50:46 EDT 2011

On 15/05/2011 20:31, Roger Whittaker wrote:

> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 10:28:36AM +0100, Roger Whittaker wrote:

>> For what it's worth, I see the same behaviour on Ubuntu 11.04

>> 64-bit, both with python 2.7 and python 2.6.

> But I don't see it on Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit (python 2.6).

> So... - this doesn't seem (as I first thought) to be a result of

> running python 2.7. And it doesn't seem to be a result of building

> with a very new gcc, because on the offending system building with

> an older gcc gives the same problem.

> The problem only seems to affect the resolving of ENTITY references

> into file names to be opened and read (if we get past that,

> everything works). It seems to have something to do with the

> length of the file names, but I need to test more on that.

> It does seem to happen only on 64-bit systems, and it does seem to

> happen only with recent Linux versions. So I'm guessing that the

> most likely reason might be something in recent versions of glibc

> (?).

I've tried to run your example, but I see this error

/usr/home/rptlab/tmp/newsletter.dtd: No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "pyrxp-bad.py", line 6, in <module>
parsed = p.parse(infile)
pyRXP.error: Error: Couldn't open dtd entity
file:///usr/home/rptlab/tmp/newsletter.dtd
in unnamed entity at line 7 char 3 of [unknown]
Couldn't open dtd entity file:///usr/home/rptlab/tmp/newsletter.dtd
Parse Failed!