[reportlab-users] Asian fonts with encryption enabled does not work

Dean Brotzel dean.brotzel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 21:30:07 EDT 2011

Hi All,

I have been using Asian fonts (Chinese simplified/tradional, Japanese, and
Korean) in my reportlab generated pdfs without issuse for a while now.
However recently we have decided to enable the encryption options like
this:

enc = pdfencrypt.StandardEncryption(
"", canPrint=1, canModify=0, canCopy=0, canAnnotate=0
)

self._Report = SimpleDocTemplate(
save_file,
topmargin=0.75*inch, bottommargin=0.75*inch,
rightmargin=0.70*inch, leftmargin=0.70*inch,
showBoundary=0,
author="xxx",
title="xxx",
subject=xxx",
encrypt=enc
)

For non Asian languages the encryption works as expected. When we use Asian
fonts with encryption the pdf cannot be read by adobe reader.
For example with simplified Chinese we get a "Cannot find the font
"STSong-Light" error from Adobe Reader.

Anyone have any ideas on what encryption is breaking to not make this work?

Thanks,
Dean