[reportlab-users] Cursive Font Question

Richie Marini richardjmarini at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 06:54:55 EDT 2011

Thanks, turns out it wasn't so much the kerning function. But rather the
same changes in terms of calling pyribidi.log2vis that are made elsewhere
in reportlab to allow for RTL text I had to also apply to the stringWidth
function. That solved some of the problem in that the stringWidth
function returns the correct length no3 (I'll see if I can get this merged
back into the reportlab-rtl repository.

Now, I have another issue causing a similar problem with the
zero-non-breaking-space character 0xffef coming up in text and I think
it's not provided as a glyph in the ArialUnicode MS.tff I'm using and
therefore the ordinal for this character is not in the charWidths table
so the defaltWidth of 1000 is being used by the stringWidth function which
is creating a large gap in the middle of my text now. But the "word"
width is at least correct now.

So looks like I had two issues causing the same thing and was at least
able to solve one of them at the moment. This second non-breaking-space
issues I'll just have to test for and perhaps use a different defaultWidth
for that character for the time being.

I basically created my own stringWidth like this and simile inserted the
call to log2vis to solve the first issue:

"""
def stringWidth_log2vis(c, text, encoding='utf-8', direction= 'LTR'):
directions= { 'LTR': DIR_LTR, 'RTL': DIR_RTL }

if type(text) is not UnicodeType:
text = unicode(text, encoding or 'utf-8') # encoding defaults to
utf-8

text= log2vis(text, directions.get(direction, DIR_ON))
font= pdfmetrics.getFont(c._fontname)
size= c._fontsize

g= font.face.charWidths.get
dw= font.face.defaultWidth
return .001*size*sum([g(ord(u),dw) for u in text])
"""

Thanks for the reponse!
-richie