[reportlab-users] LayoutError - table doesn't fit on a page

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Feb 17 12:40:43 EST 2011

On 17/02/2011 17:25, Aljoša Mohorović wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Robin Becker<robin at reportlab.com> wrote:

>> ie the image is taller than a page. The Table refuses to split cells (or

>> rows for that matter). It will split at row boundaries. You don't need to

>> tell tables to do that, however, if any row is too tall it won't work.

> so a cell/row can't be on 2 pages?

> this also happens when i replace images with a single large paragraph.

> i'm sorry if i sound stupid but what should i use to emulate 2 columns

> with content larger than a page (left column images, right column

> large paragraph)?

> Aljosa

Paragraphs can split, but tables aren't intended for that. Even if you put the
content in side by side frames (we have such an example somewhere) I don't think
it's reasonable to expect frames to split large images. Things larger than a
page will cause problems unless they split and images certainly won't split (and
neither will table rows).