[reportlab-users] Font size, baseline and typography stuff

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Fri Aug 5 10:44:24 EDT 2011

On 5 August 2011 14:34, Dinu Gherman <gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de> wrote:

> I'm just not sure I would expect this to be inside the

> charts package, though, but maybe in pdfmetrics...

It happened this way because our charts/shapes package already had a
'getBounds' operation - we needed that to dynamically resize charts to
be just big enough to contain their text labels and titles, and
sometimes to make sure labels don't overlap - and when you want to
define that for a text label, Robin realised he could get the paths
out of freetype2. It doesn't really have anything to do with PDF and
applies equally when making a bitmap.

You're right, it would probably make sense to have an equivalent
function available within pdfmetrics for the many users who don't
delve into the chart code.

--
Andy