[reportlab-users] Font size, baseline and typography stuff

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Aug 4 10:41:51 EDT 2011

On 04/08/2011 14:25, Dinu Gherman wrote:

> Hi, long time no see!

> I started a little project with strong requirements on

> typography, which made me write the little attached

> test script to see how much the reportlab library can

> actually be helpful here. Doing so I noticed a couple

> of things which make me state/raise the following re-

> marks/questions:

> 1. The ascent/descent values seem to be numbers in the

> range [0 ... 1000] representing a fraction of the font

> size. That's fine, but I couldn't find a note in the

> code saying so explicitly, which would just reduce a

> bit of guess work.

Not all fonts use the same scale unfortunately; I think that most truetype fonts
come with a unitsperEm value of 2048. In ttfonts.py I think we adjust the
bounding boxes to be in 1/1000. I guess that's so the bounding boxes can be used
without knowing the original scale.

> 2. I wonder if there is a way for any given font to

> find the x-height defining the "mean line" (or

> "midline") as described and illustrated here:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typeface#Font_metrics

It might be possible with access to the curves. We do have that with tools in
the graphics extension _renderPM (at least for those fonts we can cope with).

eg

> C:\tmp>cat xheight.py

> from reportlab.graphics.charts.textlabels import _text2Path

> from reportlab.pdfbase import pdfmetrics, ttfonts

> pdfmetrics.registerFont(ttfonts.TTFont('Vera','Vera.ttf'))

> px = _text2Path('x',fontName='Vera',fontSize=2048)

> pX = _text2Path('X',fontName='Vera',fontSize=2048)

> print 'x',px.getBounds()

> print 'X',pX.getBounds()

> C:\tmp>xheight.py

> x (59, 0, 1145, 1120)

> X (61, 0, 1339, 1493)

so we seem able to get the path for x and X and there is a difference in the
curve heights (and luckily both seem to stay on and above the baseline ie 0)

Of course I'm using a fairly large value for the fontSize so the x height seems
to be fontSize * (1120-0)/2048. and for X fontSize * (1493-0)/2048.

> In the PDF generated by my script I approximated this

> as shown by the dashed lines using an x-height equal

> to the x-width which is not really acceptable, though.

Anyhow if I use that in your code it seems better; see attached.

> 3. Looking at the PDF output of the attached script,

> you'll see that for Times-Italic the rightmost letter

> N is slightly outside the grey box with a horizontal

> size calculated by the function stringWidth with the

> correct font name.

> I'm not a typography expert, but I wonder if this be-

> haviour is correct? If so, I wonder how the width of

> slanted fonts is actually defined, then? Unfortunately,

> the all knowing Wikipedia doesn't give an immediate

> answer, at least not here:

not sure on this one.