[reportlab-users] Installer needs a bit of help on 64 bit Windows Server

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Fri Sep 10 06:53:32 EDT 2010

On 10/09/2010 10:35, Paul Keating wrote:

> I downloaded from http://www.reportlab.com/ftp/reportlab-2.4.win32-py2.6.exe

> AMD64 is the naming convention for 64-bit Windows; python.org says "The binaries for AMD64 will also work on processors that implement the Intel 64 architecture (formerly EM64T), i.e. the architecture that Microsoft calls x64, and AMD called x86-64 before calling it AMD64. They will not work on Intel Itanium processors (formerly IA-64)."

> I'm guessing that the 64-bit wininst will produce a 64-bit executable, and that executable won't have the problem, because its registry calls won't get redirected, so it won't need to do an architecture check.

> It seems a bit OTT to have a 32-bit install and a 64-bit install that differ only in the registry subtree they write to, but if it works it's probably the quickest and easiest solution.

well the reportlab-2.4.win32-py2.6.exe is definitely compiled in 32 bit mode so
that's probably the issue. I had to specially set up my 32 bit machine to do the
cross compiling for amd64 and even then distutils needed to be patched to make
the bdist work.

Looking in the ftp downloads area I notice that I haven't created an amd64
version of 2.4 for python 2.6, but we have done so for python 2.7.

I will try and make a back release for reportlab-2.4.amd64-py2.6.exe

I suspect that even if the reportlab-2.4.win32-py2.6.exe installs with your
python that the 32 bit pyd's are not being used.