[reportlab-users] Installer needs a bit of help on 64 bit Windows Server

Paul Keating Paul.Keating at nibc.com
Thu Sep 9 07:08:27 EDT 2010

I ran into a snag installing ReportLab 2.4 on a Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 edition, because the installer complained that it could not find Python in the registry.

This happens because registry calls from 32-bit programs to HKLM\Software get redirected to HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node. (Extended explanation in KB article 896459.)

I fixed this by manually copying the registry subtree HKLM\Software\Python to HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Python. (It would probably have been enough to copy Python\PythonCore\2.6\InstallPath but I wasn't in a mood to play with it.)

Since there's nothing in the install but pure Python, I quite see that there doesn't need to be a separate 64-bit installer. There is a flag on RegOpenKeyEx that allows a 32-bit app to open a 64-bit registry key: KEY_WOW64_64KEY (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384129(VS.85).aspx). I don't know if distutils knows about it, though.

Regards
Paul Keating

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please contact the sender immediately by return e-mail. Please delete this e-mail and do not disclose its contents to any person. NIBC Holding N.V. nor its subsidiaries accept liability for any errors, omissions, delays of receipt or viruses in the contents of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. NIBC Holding N.V. (Chamber of commerce nr. 27282935), NIBC Bank N.V. (Chamber of commerce nr. 27032036) and NIBC Investment Management N.V. (Chamber of commerce nr. 27253909) all have their corporate seat in The Hague, The Netherlands.

De informatie in dit e-mailbericht is vertrouwelijk en uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Wanneer u dit bericht per abuis ontvangt, gelieve onmiddellijk contact op te nemen met de afzender per kerende e-mail. Wij verzoeken u dit e-mailbericht te Vernietigen en de inhoud ervan aan niemand openbaar te maken. NIBC Holding N.V. noch haar dochterondernemingen aanvaarden enige aansprakelijkheid voor onjuiste, onvolledige dan wel ontijdige overbrenging van de inhoud van een verzonden e-mailbericht, noch voor door haar daarbij overgebrachte virussen. NIBC Holding N.V. (KvK nr. 27282935), NIBC Bank N.V. (KvK nr. 27032036) and NIBC Investment Management N.V. (KvK nr. 27253909) zijn statutair gevestigd te Den Haag, Nederland.