[reportlab-users] upc-a barcodes

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Wed Sep 8 05:34:57 EDT 2010

I have to admit that within ReportLab we don't get involved with
real-world barcoding much and our knowledge is severely limited.

We are therefore reliant on all of you to tell us
(a) if anything in the software is actually wrong, or should be changed, and
(b) if we are explaining it incorrectly in our docs.

It sounds to me like there is a case for a subclass of EAN13 to
implement UPC-12, which would validate the input more strictly and add
the zero behind the scenes.

Time permitting, we are probably going to rig up a 'test page' on our
website - a web form with a text field that renders a bitmap. This
would initially for QR codes but it could cover more codes - in the
hope that people will be able to give feedback without needing to
install our package and write Python code.

- Andy