[reportlab-users] Japanese & other Asian character support

Volker Haas volker.haas at brainbot.com
Thu Oct 14 06:04:37 EDT 2010

On 10/13/2010 06:45 PM, Benjamin Higgins wrote:

> Andy,

> Excellent suggestion with breaking up the text with<font>s. I hadn't

> thought of that. Thanks a lot!

> Ben

Hi Ben,

I developed fontswitching for the mwlib project (PDFs from Wikipedia
articles) in the same way Andy suggested above. If you like take a look
at http://code.pediapress.com/wiki/wiki/mwlibrl
This might be overkill, and the documentation isn't exactly great. But
the "fontifyText" method in
http://code.pediapress.com/git/mwlib.rl?p=mwlib.rl;a=blob;f=mwlib/rl/fontconfig.py;h=98737355a590e7c89c20b509dce59012a70d6d6f;hb=HEAD
does pretty much what you need.

I can supply a minimal example how to use that if you think it's a
viable route.

Best,
Volker

> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 1:00 AM, Andy Robinson<andy at reportlab.com> wrote:

>> On 12 October 2010 22:58, Benjamin Higgins<bhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I have a bunch of text that includes Latin *and* Japenese characters,

>>> all intermixed (really!). It may also, someday, include other Asian

>>> characters. I want the Latin characters in Helvetica and the Japanese

>>> characters in whatever makes the most sense. Right now the Japanese

>>> characters show up as black squares. How do I best approach this?

>> The simplest approach for you would be to see if you can live with the

>> Latin glyphs in the built-in Japanese fonts.

>> Otherwise, you would need to scan through your paragraphs and break

>> them into chunks based on the Unicode code points, using the<font>

>> tag which can be embedded to switch fonts in mid-text.

>> - Andy

volker haas brainbot technologies ag
fon +49 6131 2116394 boppstraße 64
fax +49 6131 2116392 55118 mainz