[reportlab-users] Japanese & other Asian character support

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Wed Oct 13 04:00:54 EDT 2010

On 12 October 2010 22:58, Benjamin Higgins <bhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a bunch of text that includes Latin *and* Japenese characters,

> all intermixed (really!).  It may also, someday, include other Asian

> characters.  I want the Latin characters in Helvetica and the Japanese

> characters in whatever makes the most sense.  Right now the Japanese

> characters show up as black squares.  How do I best approach this?

The simplest approach for you would be to see if you can live with the
Latin glyphs in the built-in Japanese fonts.

Otherwise, you would need to scan through your paragraphs and break
them into chunks based on the Unicode code points, using the <font>
tag which can be embedded to switch fonts in mid-text.

- Andy